Updated: Sep 12, 2021
One of our aspirants was struggling with the preparation strategy specifically for ancient and medieval history. If one of our aspirants is facing a problem then there might be others who are struggling with the same and our responsibility is to help all of you, so I am sharing the strategy for the benefit of all of you.
Ancient and Medieval History is a topic that gives nightmares to most aspirants, but let us break it down to how you can tackle it. For you to master every subject there are a couple of basic things that you should check when studying anything.
1. Follow one source - NCERT should be the basic source. In NCERT you can refer to Tamil Nadu class 11th NCERT on Ancient and Medieval History. It is crisp and short. You can refer to the old ones. You can also refer to Ancient History by RS Sharma and Medieval History by Satish Chandra. Please follow any one book for Ancient and one for Medieval History. Don't try to read both. If you still find problems contact us back, we will let you know more basic books for better understanding.
2. Revise Revise Revise - If you want to remember every stuff this is the only mantra to succeed. The more you revise the more it will be ingrained in your mind and the more you will be able to retain it. If you are not able to retain it in 4 times revision make it 10 times. Make flashcards, make small audio clips of yourself repeating the things which you can't remember, and listen to them while you are doing other things let say walking, etc. But you have to master it and if you decide to overcome it you can, no matter how hard it is. It is only the mindset that prevents us from learning. Be stubborn towards mastering it.
3. Solve more and more questions on the subject: Solving more questions helps you to retain and also develops your intuition skills which are beneficial when you are in your real exam. While solving mocks try to analyze why you were able to do any question or not able to do a particular question. Develop your own tricks.
4. Last but not least past year papers are very important. You have to analyze which topics were being asked earlier. For example, there are few topics on which UPSC has a lot of focus like Jainism and Buddhism, etc. Analyze which topics are more important and focus more on those rather than studying everything evenly.
5. General Advice: When preparing for UPSC you have to take into account the ROI (Return on Investment) of what you are studying. Ancient and Medieval history is not asked much in exams considering the amount of material that you have to study. If your other important subjects like Modern History, Polity, Geography, etc are not prepared please master those first as they are easy also and high scoring as well. It is not guaranteed that even if you read both the books completely for Ancient History and Medieval history, You will be able to do questions correctly. So read the books and make important notes of it, So that revision is easier in the end. Give more time to important subjects. Set your priorities and prepare smartly. For ancient and medieval revise your notes multiple times as much as you can to retain them better.
My friends, we at The Layman Way strive harder each day to make a difference in your life. What we need is just a little push to make us work even harder and impact more lives positively. This push comes to us from you all, who are our ambassadors. If at all we are adding any value to your preparation or your life, I have a favor to ask you. Spread the word for us so that we can reach out to more aspirants and leave us a review on Google https://g.co/kgs/2YyKFL. Reviews help other aspirants to know that this is the place they need to be for learning more and enhancing their UPSC preparation. Help us make a difference and we shall together strive to help you ACE UPSC.
Do not hesitate to ask doubts and reach out to us in case you need any help. Have a wonderful day and make your mission to make someone else life better. I will see you in our next blog.
We have covered what you can read in ancient and medieval in our lecture below:
Link of syllabus discussion: https://bit.ly/3b9RRo5
Link to How to clear UPSC in 2months: https://bit.ly/3erwWyI
Full playlist: https://bit.ly/3cef5L8 You can also join our Telegram channel where we keep sharing materials and lecture videos:
Fundamentals of Physical Geography full playlist: https://bit.ly/39Xm7RH
Sign up for guidance: https://forms.gle/7mt68KmVUvYfgsbv8
Join our telegram channel: https://t.me/thelaymanway
Economic survey and budget 2021full playlist for: https://bit.ly/2YuX6bg
How to clear UPSC prelims in5 months Playlist: https://bit.ly/3cef5L8
Government Schemes for UPSC playlist: https://bit.ly/36A2pKU
Economics for UPSC Prelims Playlist: https://bit.ly/3kgEohO
How to score 120+ In UPSC Prelims: https://bit.ly/3mE3qIL
Yearly Current Affairs Revision: https://bit.ly/3s8TckD
British Acts and Policies Playlist: https://bit.ly/3vvARQY
Environment and Ecology Series: https://bit.ly/3xhslFW
CSAT Preparation Demo Lectures: https://bit.ly/2WVg651
Maps Revision Series Demo Lectures: https://bit.ly/3kUpuhQ