Economic causes of The revolt of 1857 :
1. Heavy taxation and revenue settlement policies of the British. Impoverished by heavy taxation, the peasants resorted to loans from money-lenders/traders at high rates, the latter often evicting the former from their land for non-repayment of debt dues.
2. Cutting off patronage of Local Artisans and Handicrafts people and not developing industries at the same time. The annexation of Indian States by the company cut off their major source of patronage-the native rulers and the nobles who could not now afford to be patrons of the crafts workers and promoted British goods. The Indian Craftsmen were forced to look to alternate sources of employment that hardly existed, as there was hardly any development of modern Industries
3. Destroying local industries by applying heavy export duties on Indian Products and lowering import duties on British goods and hence Indian goods could not compete against British Goods.
4. Zamindars often saw their land rights being forfeited with frequent use of a Quo Warranto by the administration. the result was the loss of status for them in the villages.
5. The ruin of Indian Industry increased the pressure on agriculture and land, which could not support all the people. The result was pauperisation of the country in General.
We hope we added some value to your life today and we would continue to do that always!
My friends, we at The Layman Way strive harder each day to make a difference in your life. What we need is just a little push to make us work even harder and impact more lives positively. This push comes to us from you all, who are our ambassadors. If at all we are adding any value to your preparation or your life, I have a favour to ask you. Spread the word for us so that we can reach out to more aspirants and leave us a review on Google https://g.co/kgs/2YyKFL. Reviews help other aspirants to know that this is the place they need to be for learning more and enhancing their UPSC preparation. Help us make a difference and we shall together strive to help you ACE UPSC.
Have a wonderful day and make your goal to make someone else life better. I will see you in our next blog.
We have launched new courses on :
Indian polity: https://www.thelaymanway.com/paidcourses
Master CSAT: https://www.thelaymanway.com/paidcourses
Sign up for guidance: https://forms.gle/7mt68KmVUvYfgsbv8
Join our telegram channel: https://t.me/thelaymanway
More Course for You:
Fundamentals of Physical Geography full playlist: https://bit.ly/39Xm7RH
Economic survey and budget 2021full playlist for: https://bit.ly/2YuX6bg
How to clear UPSC prelims in5 months Playlist: https://bit.ly/3cef5L8
Government Schemes for UPSC playlist: https://bit.ly/36A2pKU
Economics for UPSC Prelims Playlist: https://bit.ly/3kgEohO
How to score 120+ In UPSC Prelims: https://bit.ly/3mE3qIL
Yearly Current Affairs Revision: https://bit.ly/3s8TckD
British Acts and Policies Playlist: https://bit.ly/3vvARQY
Environment and Ecology Series: https://bit.ly/3xhslFW
CSAT Preparation Demo Lectures: https://bit.ly/2WVg651
Maps Revision Series Demo Lectures: https://bit.ly/3kUpuhQ
Indian Constitution at Work Playlist: https://bit.ly/3lMMscg
Direct hits in UPSC Prelims 2021: https://bit.ly/3GopdxF